Sunday, April 24, 2011

my life in Greek

Ok, so I've started doing ancient Greek again- no reason, just for kicks and so my brain doesn't actually stop working, which sometimes I'm afraid it will. The other day I was translating a passage from my (awesome, beloved) college Greek textbook, and when I started to reflect on the story's content I guffawed aloud in the library. To myself, and not aloud, I noted how much like my life my ancient Greek book had become. So here's what my current location has kind of been like, these past several months:

(please bear in mind that this is a translation, and likely to come out sounding hilarious.)

...The road was long, and it was already becoming evening as they arrived in the city and the very inn where they stayed.
    Coming upon some men who were traveling along that road, they asked where there was an inn. But the man gave him a terrible look, and they fell into an argument.
   "What's it to you??" he said. "Y'all look to be Athenians. What do you want? What are you doing in Corinth?"
   And to some people approaching they yelled, "Get back here, guys! There are some Athenians here. They look down on folks from here, the way a local here looks down on a newcomer."
   But {Dan} said, "What are you saying, guys? We are not here looking down on anybody-- rather, some farmers all the way back in Epidaurus sent us through here on our way to Athens. But look, already a mob of Corinthians have swarmed around us, yelling like wild animals. And enemies have taken hold of and are about to throw rocks at us."     (my personal favorite sentence- such very unrealistic narrating!)

   Then Dan fell into fear. He said [to his son], "Run, Philip! As fast as possible." And so he fled towards the city walls, but the Corinthians followed him and threw rocks. Running, Philip and his father cast off the pursuers by hiding in a ditch, which they stayed in all night. With it becoming day, straightaway they set out and lost [in a good way] all the men, hurrying quickly.
   And thus they approached Megara, not coming into the city but arriving [just] outside it by the city walls. And so thus they came to the end, coming into Athens; and then, resting on the road, they stopped short-- for, having suffered much they were greatly tired, nor could they walk [any further].

       So, yeah: nobody's thrown any rocks at me thus far (thank goodness!), but I am definitely feeling a little of that nasty-edged "be local or get out" attitude sometimes. Summer should soothe that a little, with so many hikers coming in soon; we'll see how it goes.
     And, yes! this really is how I spend my free afternoons. With or without cute baristas to stare at, they are immensely entertaining. "Alas, alas," cried the newcomer, to whom no one would talk in depth any greater than a thin layer of clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment