I was really rushed this morning (after finally getting in some morning writing) and left the house with my sunglasses on and no glasses for work. Then called to beg someone at my B&B to bring them. They were in my room along with my guitar case, which my mom brought up last week (as requested). Guitar case bearing certain bumper stickers. :D The woman who brought me my glasses is like the most homophobic person I have ever met in my life, and also the worst gossip.
Soooo, there we go. An hour later my priest was in the store. To his credit he didn't 'confront' me, but he was definitely acting weird. More shocked than disapproving, I think. But I'm expecting the people with torches chanting by my window within a few days.
I haven't decided to retreat yet (to...? some other relatively nearby town that's a teensy bit less homogenous?). But it's on the table. We'll see how it goes.
This was the first day in a long time that I've actually been homesick for California. Just a little bit more sunshine- and a beach nearby- and the sight of one or two stores named "Out of the Closet" on my way home would've made such a difference today.
No comments:
Post a Comment