Tuesday, December 14, 2010

the nature of the cold

It rained all day yesterday, ruining the snow on the local ski slopes, and covering walkers (like me, who has to walk 20 minutes into town and back) in a miserable tepid sludge. Last night, the temperature dropped to 10 F, and it all froze back into snow. This morning was cold, but sunny. This afternoon, the wind came up just as the sun was swallowed up in snowy mist, and on the way back the damp wind was whipping across my face with a murderous fury. My legs weren't much better, covered in just a pair of jeans. By the last quarter mile, which is a long flat stretch exposed to the wind, I couldn't decide whether to run or walk, because when I ran my lungs got sharp pins and needles almost identical to the sharp pins and needles in my legs when I wasn't running. As soon as I got inside, I took a hot shower and vowed to buy a ski mask tomorrow. Yes, the kind that makes you look like a criminal; it's the only way to protect my cheekbones. I thought I might lose them-- or at least, the sensation in them-- today. Not good.

The only other significant thing I got done today was submitting the paperwork for substitute teaching at the local high school. Now, subbing might not be the best thing ever-- I've heard horror stories-- but it would be a foot in the door, and more importantly, right now the high school is actually looking for a sub (high school English) for the whole second semester, starting in January. This would be about three different kinds of dream come true for me: 1) classroom teaching experience, 2) a chance to make more than minimum wage, and 3) a stable, reliable thing to be doing until summer, by which time the hiking trails will be clear for climbing my favorite mountains and I should know one way or another about my PhD chances for next fall, which would also be nearby. See, I'm getting gradually better at this whole task of localizing my life. One step at a time.

I am getting really excited for Christmas, especially the chance to see my whole family all at once: my parents, my brother and sister-in-law, and my two little nephews who are growing by the minute. I got to see the littlest one on Skype the other day, and he was staring at me like I was a deer who'd surprised him in a field. Sometimes it hurts not being able to pick them up when you see them on a computer screen! Such a couple of sweethearts.

I wish you all a very cozy holiday season surrounded by loved ones. And if you want it, I hope you have snow! I don't know what I'd do without a white Christmas. I think this year we're pretty much guaranteed one! Miss you and will try to be better about keeping in touch.   -breezy

No comments:

Post a Comment